Pages

Monday, July 11, 2016

New blogger blog hop week #3.

Hi Bloggers and Welcome to Week 3 of the New blogger blog hop!! After a little break we are back and are now on  week 3 of the New blogger blog hop. I am  Heide from Heide's Quilty Hugs and I am so excited that you found the time to stop by and learn a little about me.
At first I was little unsure about joining the new blogger workshop, but so glad I did. Thanks to Host Yvonne, Stephanie, and, Cheryl for being our leaders in this fun, informative adventure in blogging.

                                                      New Bloger 2016
                                                            
I am part of Miss-Bee Hivin' group (Cheryl's- Meadow Mist Desings Hive) and have met some wonderful, creative women!
Here is the list of this weeks bloggers.
Velda @ GRANNYcanQUILT

Be sure to check out Yvonne and Stephanie's blogs to see the other Hive girls in the hop.

Here are a few of my favorite quilts.

#1 
One  of my favorites- love the bright colors against the black fabric.
#2
Favorite fabric and this is used daily,
#3

Such a fun sweet quilt to make and I tried something new with this one!
#4
Very proud of this, largest paper pieced that I have done.


 Here is a little about me. 
I am married to a very supportive man, we have two teens. I am struggling with the thought of empty nest syndrome. My youngest is headed into her final year in High school. What to do with both kids are gone off to college...yikes!!
I have one Fur baby named Guinness...he is in some of my posts. He is just about the sweetest dog I have ever had. He loves to go with me on some of the photo shoots.

 I have been quilting for about a year and a half.  I really enjoy finding new quilt shops in my travels...Thank goodness for smart phones! I am pretty much self taught..You  tube, quilting blogs and asking questions is how I have learned. I have only taken one quilting class, my thoughts are I would rather spend the money on fabric!

I love just about everything about quilting...shopping, cutting, piecing, finishing the quilt, and giving it away. I also really love to learn new things and different techniques and when I do I like to share them with you all. 

Blogging tips- Google, google, google....if you don't know how to do something...Google it and there is sure to be a  video or some info on how to do it. Also Write about what you like and are interested in. 

                                                    

Quilting tips- 1/4 inch seam.....I did not really realize how important this was with my first quilt. Now I do and it makes my quilting life much easier and I am much happier!

                                                        


 One of my favorite tools is the Creative grids Stripology ruler. I learned about this at the one quilting class that I took and the instructor called it Lucy....because everyone LOVES Lucy. So I now call this ruler Lucy, LOL.
                                              http://www.fatquartershop.com/creative-grids-non-slip-stripology-ruler

This ruler makes cutting straight strips from my yards super easy! I do truly love this tool and it was featured here at the Fat Quarter shop there is also a great video on how to use it.

A few fun facts about me.
- I enjoy Kickboxing...I have been doing this for about 4 months now and I am sore after every class, but it is fun and I like the results.
- I have another blog for my card making (another fun hobby) and I am on a design team. 
-Netflix is a great friend to have in your quilting space, it is a great way to catch up on show while quilting.
-I do not eat much sugar...gave it up about 3 years ago and do not really miss it.
-I Love watching movies over and over again but,  have only read two books twice..once by accident ( did not remember that I read it) and the 2nd book because I really liked it. 
-Oh....I think I have the messiest sewing room on the plant! I would rather sew and create than clean.

Well...enough about me...Thanks for stopping by.
I am going to leave you with a question....when you sew do you watch Netflix?...If so what do you watch...I need new shows, LOL!!
Until I see you again...Wishing you Quilty Hugs~Heide


35 comments:

  1. Great learning more about you and your quilting journey Heidi. I really like the first quilt with the black background, the beautiful colours just pop, no wonder it's one of your favourites. The elephant is great too, I can't imagine piecing anything so big, great job. To answer your question I only watch Netflix occasionally, but I did watch all of the Good Wife which I hadn't seen before, and I love being able to watch all the episodes one after the other. I do love reading though. Most books I only read once, some I keep to re read, and rarely I come across a book that I will keep forever and read several times over many years, such as Diana Gabaldon's outlander series.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, this is Velda aka GRANNYcanQUILT. I loved your post. Your quilts are beautiful. I am really loving the Elephant. And Guiness is great too. I have not seen Lucy before but I'm going to go check out FQS to see if it's still in stock. Enjoy this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I enjoyed seeing your quilts and learning more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the elephant quilt! It's great getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heide! I really love the colors in #1, and the fox quilt (#3). I keep seeing those and may need to break down and do one. I am so impressed you are so new to quilting - you do great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, the colors in #2 are perfect! Grays and blues are always my go-to when working on a personal project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the Quilts are amazing and the #1 is so right up my alley. I enjoyed reading your post and getting to know more about you. Thanks for also stopping by my post for the blog hop too. I have said it over and over that Google is my best friend! I took a beginners quilting class too but mostly I've been teaching myself the rest of the way and have made friends with amazing people in the quilting community that in addition to Google are very eager to point me in the right direction. 1/4" seam allowance changed my life too and I gushed about it when I did a piecing a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Love all your quilts and that elephant is spectacular! How cute is Guinness? That face! I listen to the radio when I'm sewing. It is actually very much a zen time for me and that could be one of the things I like so much about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you have only been quilting for a year and a half and have some really beautiful quilts to show! <3 I personally am not a big TV / netflix person, but I do like to listen to podcasts as I sew and The Crafty Planner podcast is one of my favorite quilting related podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilts are so beautiful! I just love that elephant!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that star quilt that you mentioned you use daily. I agree about googling when you have a question about how something works, more often than not someone has experienced your same issue and has figured it out. I don't often watch Netflix when I'm sewing but when I do I like to watch Anthony Bourdain's show where he travels to different cities / countries. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Elephant quilt is gorgeous! And of course the foxes, they are my fav! :) I have a 1/4" guide foot for my Brother and its amazing. I use it daily. So glad i finally bought it. And i totally need that ruler in my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Heidi! I love your quilt style; your elephant quilt is amazing! I sometimes watch Netflix while sewing, but usually a show or movie that I've already seen. That way, I'm not tempted to look away from my work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Heide! It's been fun getting to know you better. I'm in Mis' Bee Hivin' too! The quilts you chose to show are so beautiful! Can't wait to see the next finish. I am going through empty nesting too. My daughter will be a sophomore this year. it's been wonderful having her home but ugh. I don't want the summer to end. All I can say is hang in there and know that what you've done up to now will serve them well and that they will be OK.

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely projects. when i sew I listen to instrumental music

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heide,

    I won't send pictures but I think my sewing room is probably the messiest around. I am like you. I would rather create. We are almost empty nestets. It is really strange when it is just my hubby and myself. I love the quilts you have made. You are very talented. Glad to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful projects.I love listen the radio or music when I`m sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What books did you reread? Nice selection of projects. Beautiful choices for designs and colors. I used to listen to the TV while sewing, but so many of the shows require eyes on them now to understand everything so now I just sew when I sew! Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a fun post to read. When both of my kids left home that's when I started blogging and started quilting more. I also don't eat sugar but that's because I have a sensitivity to it and it makes me sad.I don't watch netflicks when I quilt. I listen to the radio. I am very impressed with your quilting skills in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't have Netflix just cable,but I do have the tv on & like watching/listening to old movies. Sorry couldn't help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I have seen the video about that ruler and it is now high on my Xmas wish list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was great to see your quilts and read a little more about you. That big elephant is some giant paper piecing! I don't watch anything when I am cutting or working at the machine. However, I often watch tv or listen to an audio book when I do hand work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That elephant quilt is so awesome! It was great to get to know you a little better. I would disagree about the sewing room, but I just took a full day and cleaned mine, so now I guess you win. :) I would much rather be sewing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That elephant quilt is so awesome! It was great to get to know you a little better. I would disagree about the sewing room, but I just took a full day and cleaned mine, so now I guess you win. :) I would much rather be sewing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The only sewing I do while watching TV is hand sewing, like putting on bindings. I have that fox pattern and love your version. I need to do it. Have you watched Happy Valley (not happy at all), River, Endeavor. You can tell I love cop shows.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm 52 years old i never had empty nest syndrome...But i do have you been away from home to long you need to come visit us syndrome....My baby is 24 and getting married the 30th of july ...I tell him once a week stop in visit me... Its good for me and him....hehehe...Ps love your quilts and story...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful post Heidi!I'm right in the thick of little kids at home and often wonder what all of that time will be like once they are out on there own. I have been watching movies on Netflix while I sew. I use my iPad and put my headphones in and just ignore the rest of the world. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sounds like we are in the same boat! My youngest is a senior in high school next year too! It's a good thing we have our quilty friends to keep us company! I don't think I could watch Netflix and sew at the same time. I'm not a very good multi-tasker. I like to listen to audio books though! Really enjoyed looking at all your quilts. The black with bright colors is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore your blue foxes. I did a larger version with plaid - I need to make another one, I can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Heide - love to read this post and learn more about you. It's funny because whilst you are thinking empty nest I am just about fantasising about having a day, or maybe two, to myself .... Home Ed goes in cycles and right now it's quite hard!!! Love your quilts - I hadn't seen your finished foxes one yet - gorgeous! TV whilst sewing?!!! I have never even thought about it let alone tried it!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, Great introductory post! I love your paper pieced elephant. I saw the pattern once and thought about making it. Maybe, I'll have to rethink it. The foxes are super cute too. No Netflix in our house; I haven't convinced my husband that we need it. No TV near my sewing room although I've been thinking about taking over the pool table room. I use the pool table anyway for laying out baby size quilts but really I was thinking of moving it into the TV room. Empty nest syndrome, yes, it is hard. My best advice is to keep busy. Maybe make a T-shirt Quilt for your "soon to be moving out of the house" kid. I was going to do that but never did and now have given all those t-shirts away. But I just might make one for me with all of my souvenir t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Heide, it's fun to read this post and get to know a little more about you. As you know, I am already a fan and follower!
    Your quilts are always beautiful! Empty nest is definitely an adjustment, but you do learn to cope in time. Especially if you have multiple interests (like kick boxing... wow!)
    I hope you and Guinness do a post for Pets on Quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS - I forgot to answer a question. I can sew and watch TV because I have to read the closed captioning. BUT as far as netflix goes... my daughter just got me hooked on 30 Rock.

      Delete
    2. Jeepers... it's supposed to say "cannot sew and watch TV"

      Delete
  33. Here I could have sworn I went along and commented during your week, but it seems nothing stuck. Perhaps I was not logged in !

    At any right, nice to meet you, Heide, and thank you for the peek into your quilt world.

    I'm with you - it took me a while to REALLY understand the importance of the scant 1/4" seam. Heck, I wish someone had told me that the weight of thread you use can affect your seams, and therefore you accuracy!

    ReplyDelete